On Sun, 2002-02-24 at 19:55, Bill Moseley wrote:
> At 11:25 AM 02/24/02 -0800, Eric G. Miller wrote:

> Although I read that IMAP can be slow if you have many mailboxes (I have
> almost 100), and hundreds of messages a day.

I have the same problem.  The truth is that most mail cleints that claim
to be IMAP compliant are simply unusable.  syplheed exposes a list of
each and every item in the directory where the mail account lives.  so
on one of my servers, syplheed shows over 500 items and I have to select
my active mailboxes from that lot!

I find mutt running locally is very good.  Its actiually more convenient
that it can be run with multiple sessions on the same mail account.  So
I can have mutt -f Mail/rootmail and mutt -f Mail/debian.

Evolution is a heavy application and has some quirks.  but it is a very
good IMAP client in that it allows shortcuts to your frequently used
mailboxes and only asks you to select from mailboxes as opposed to all
files.