On Monday 08 April 2002 09:16 pm, j y wrote:
> Hi,

Greetings:

>I'm even having problems sending this message. I don't know if its
> because I'm knew to linux, or brain drain.

All your posts were sent to thousands of people which would indicate that
your mailer has worked as advertised.  Since you can form sentences, I'd also
say that it is my official opinion that you are not brain dead, but I am not
a medical doctor.

>Does anyone know a simple way of
> getting two distros on a hard drive. I'm running suse 7.3 and want to try
> debian.

Yes.

>Thanks

You are welcome.

Now then, enough of silly bantar.  First, you will need a piece of the hard
drive for a Debian root partition.  If you don't have space, think about
either repartitioning Suse's root, removing Suse, or installing another
(>1.5GB) hard drive just for Debian play.

Once you start the install, you can re-use the swap partition that Suse would
have created on its' install, though this is a mute point if you elect to use
a separate drive for Debian.  The rest is really specific to your own
hardware needs.  The install is known to be a pain, but once you are past it,
Debian is the kindest distro I have used for installing packages and removing
them later without system failure.  The big trick here is taking some time to
read the install manual on the official debian web site, or its' mirrors.

If you are a total newbieduebiedo, I would recommend local support from a
person who has some experience with various distros.  If it all fails, and
the computer catches on fire, you can use their assistance with the
extinguishers.

Best of luck to you.  I do hope you find success.

tatah
- --

Jaye Inabnit\ARS ke6sls\/A GNU-Debian linux user\/ http://www.qsl.net/ke6sls
If it's stupid, but works, it ain't stupid. I SHOUT JUST FOR FUN.
Free software, in a free world, for a free spirit. Please Support freedom!