On Sat, 2002-04-13 at 01:29, Sean wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-04-12 at 19:58, Paul 'Baloo' Johnson wrote:
> >
> > > This is a vaild point, in my mind. Implementing a BSD-style ports
> > > structure would help to get around this in my mind.
> >
> > Explain this one?  I'm unfamiliar with ports.
> >

> The BSD ports system is one where you download source instead of
> binaries. The Gentoo distribution has a similar system, with it's
> portage and emerge programs.

I'm not a developer so if this is a silly idea just say so and I won't
be in the least offended.

I've used Gentoo and Portage is indeed very nice.  It is simply an
application that builds applications from source to a predefined
template.  It is GPL-ed and the developer hopes other distros will start
to use it.

Could it be ported to Debian in a way that will play nice with dpkg?

It would involve playing with the build template to match Debian and
some kind of interface with the dpkg interface.

The value of such a port is that it is easy to install source packages
into /usr/local without breaking the nice setup of Debian, or so I've
always found.

Just a thought.

Patrick

--