hi y jams...

tape backup sw...
        "find | gre | tar " works best for me...
        ( going to tape or disks )

- tons of free backup scripts   and few more commercial apps

        which you use depends n your budget and
        amount of data  and backup media you use
        and comfoprt level of find|tar  and/or cpio, dump, etc

- most of what needs to be done for backups can be done in 1 lines or so
        ( 3-4  crontab entries ... )

        # daily incremental of last 8 days
        find /$DIRS -mtime -8 | tar cvf /dev/tape -T-

        # weekly incremental of last 32 days
        find /$DIRS -mtime -32 | tar cvf /dev/tape -T-

        # montly incremental of last 90 days..
        find /$DIRS -mtime -90 | tar cvf /dev/tape -T-

        # do a full backup however often ya like..
        tar cvf /dev/tape /$DIRS

-- done --
        - make n-copies of it if ya paranoid -

        - encrypt it if ya even mroe paranoid -