A few days ago, David Wright posted a message to this
list, questioning the wisdom of Debian's decision
to target 11 architectures. He pointed out (with
supporting references) that this decision has
contributed to a long delay in releasing Woody;
of course, other people have said this before.

The main result was that a small number of
Debian insiders posted abusive comments
message. (The thread, in case you missed it,
has the subject "This post is not off-topic".)

With hindsight, it's clear that trying to
support too many architectures was a mistake.
Of course, everybody makes mistakes. It is truly
said that he who never made a mistake, never
made anything.

But what separates the doers from the wannabes
is the ability to admit a mistake, change
direction, and move on.

If the people in effective control of Debian's
direction no longer have this ability, then
perhaps Debian is no longer useful to most
of us.

To save the Debian Attack Team the effort
of a search, I'll admit immediately that
(like most Debian users) I've contributed
nothing to Debian except good intentions
and trivial amounts of money. Debian does
not need me. And I need a stable release
with the 2.4 kernel.

Nick Jacobs