Nori Heikkinen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> on Mon, 31 Mar 2003 06:38:09PM -0500, Alan Shutko insinuated:
>> Although I find a lot of people prefer to write
>>  ... the \TM\ defined by blah blah ...
>> since they have to do that for most commands they didn't write, and
>> they want all their commands to be consistent.
>
> how do you mean, "they have to do that for most commands they didn't
> write"?

If you use a standard LaTeX command like \LaTeX or \textonethird, you
need to put "{}" or "\ " after the command, because those commands
don't use \xspace and don't put a space after the command
automatically.  If you use \xspace, you have to remember you need to
write \textonethird{}, but you can just write \tbsp (since tbsp
automatically puts space afterwards if needed).  That's inconsistent,
and makes you remember that some commands are different than others.
If you didn't use \xspace, you have to put {} after _everything_,
which is easy to remember.

Personally, I like \xspace, but I can see why some people choose not
to use it.

--
Alan Shutko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> - I am the rocks.
Looking for a developer in St. Louis? http://web.springies.com/~ats/