On Thu, 2002-06-13 at 17:44, Paulo Henrique Baptista de Oliveira wrote:

>       Hi,
>       I configured a potato box with cups from potato and hp-ppd from woody.
> No problem.
>       I only cant find the double side option.
>       Is this because I'm using potato?
>       Can you send me your config files?
>       TIA,            Paulo Henrique.

Maybe; I am using woody.  I used the web interface to enable it, but
that doesn't appear to work with the cups in potato.  However, I did
check the configuration with and without the double-sided printing, and
it appears that the only difference in the configuration is a single
line in the PPD, so maybe you can change that and have it work.

In /etc/cups/ppd/your_printer_name_here.ppd, there is a section named
"Duplex", and in there, there is a line which reads "*DefaultDuplex:
None" (in mine, it is line 1254; if you also got yours from hp-ppd from
woody, it is probably be the same).  Change that line to read
"*DefaultDuplex: DuplexNoTumble" and it should then do double-sided
printing.

The version of cups in woody allows the printers to be configured via a
web interface (on http://localhost:631/), and after a printer is
defined, it can be configured, which includes in the general options, a
setting for duplex printing, which can be set to None, Flip on Long
Edge, or Flip on Short Edge (you can see these options if you open the
.ppd file in a text editor and search for "Duplex").

I also found that I needed to set the default paper tray to tray #2
instead of the inane default of tray #1 (manual feed), but you may have
already discovered that.

Also, for convenience, I'm sending you a copy of that file, but
separately, so as not to clutter the list with unnecessarily large
attachments.

HTH,
--
Stephen Ryan                                        Debian GNU/Linux
Technology Coordinator