Quoting Michael Jinks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on Wed, Jun 26 10:42:

> > 2. Download the binary distribution of XFree86 4.2 and install this over
> > your Debian install.

I'm jumping in a little late in this discussion, but I just solved this
problem on the Dell Optiplex GX240 with a ATI Technologies Inc Rage 128
Pro Ultra TF.

What finally ended up working for me was to download Xmod.tgz and
Xxserv.tgz from
ftp://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/4.2.0/binaries/Linux-ix86-glibc22/ .

I uncompressed them in a tmp directory, then moved bin/XFree86 to
/usr/X11R6/bin/ and lib/modules/ to /usr/X11R6/lib/, backing up what
was previously there.  After I did that, everything started working
beautifully, I just cannot use the DRM 4.1 kernel driver for the Rage
128 or X locks up.  Now that I think about it, using the kernel 4.1
driver with X 4.2 seems like it could be a bad idea...

There are also beta X 4.2 Debian packages available.  There is a list
of mirrors at http://raw.no/x4.2/ .  I have not tried these yet.  If
you use them it would be great to hear how the work out for you.

> I have a Dell OptiPlex GX400 on my own desk, and I've toyed with a few
> of these new 240's just in the process of setting them up, and yeah,
> from a strictly subjective "feel" perspective, they don't feel any
> faster than my home-rolled dual P-III/500 at home.  In particular,
> when load is high, they get really stuttery.

I just wanted to second this.  I figure part of this is that I came
from a SCSI system.  When I try to really drive the GX240 it is not
pretty.

Hope this helps,
   Omen

--
They told me I was gullible ... and I believed them!