On Thu, 2002-06-27 at 23:58, Raffaele Sandrini wrote:
> Hi
>
> Is there a simple way to set up a NTP Server on Debian? I tried the
ntp (and
> the ntp-simple | ntp-reclock) package but it seemed that this was only
> client ntp daemon.

ntp does not know a difference between 'server' and 'client' daemon.
Every ntp daemon can act as a server. But an ntp 'client' only
synchronises to its server if the server is itself synchronised to some
time source.

I'd recommend a setup like this:

have 2 timeservers (need not be dedicated machines, load is quite small)
synchronize to each other and to three or four timeservers on the
internet. Additionally, have the two timeservers also sync to their own
local clock, so that your clients can always sync.

Your time servers ntp.conf would then look like this:

===
# internet time source
server <outside timeserver 1>
server <outside timeserver 2>
server <outside timeserver 3>
server <outside timeserver 4>

# backup time server
peer <the other timeserver>

# local clock, so we never lose synchronisation
server 127.127.1.0
fudge  127.127.1.0 stratum 10

[ other things like ntpd.drift file etc. - just leave as it is ]
===

And on your client you'd just
===
server <timeserver 1>
server <timeserver 2>
[...ntp.drift and other things ...]
===

I'm not sure if you need to set up some authentication for the 'peer' to
work. If you run it and (after 15 min or so) run ntpq -p <your
timeserver>, you get a display with one line per server, the lines
should begin with + or *, then it's ok (iirc. There are some other
characters, perhaps) ' ' is meaning that no synchronisation could be
established, 'x' means that the server has a 'bad' clock.

With this setup time synchronisation is pretty much start-and-forget, it
will just work. (If your LAN is REALLY large, you may want to have a
hierarchy of timeservers, but I don't think it will be necessary for 99%
of the cases).

> It hasn't to be very acurate... just a time server wich
> LAN clients can "ntpdate" to.

I would strongly recommend running ntpd on the clients. Even more so, if
you have shared (NFS/Coda/AFS/whatever) home directories, and some
people do coding work. 'make' depends quite heavily on a properly
synchronised time (I have had difficulties with time differencies of
less than a second).

cheers
-- vbi

--