On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 04:50:59PM -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
[something that wasnt wrapped @~80cols]
> Being a newbie I had the same problem that you had I couldnt log onto
> X with the root account. This is actually meant to be that way. The
> reason being is that if you want to do any system administration you
> should log in with a regular account and use the "SU" command as you
> mentioned below that you had done that.
>
> When you find yourself at the Windows X log on screen and only have
> the root account created, you can switch to the command line by using
> "ALT-F7" I think, if that is not the right command then read the man
> pages and it should be there.
erm... nearly!
alt-F7 will switch you back to X from command line as X by default runs
on virtual terminal 7.
[you can change/check this in /etc/inittab]

> Once in the command line, you are
> allowed to log in as root (Although still not recommended) and you can
> create a user account. I hope that helps!
root is recomended for admin tasks -thats what its there for, its only
not recomended for 'normal' stuff ie reading mail,irc,coding or whatever
you getup to.

where you are allowed to login as root from is configureable. For
example to allow|disallow root login from ssh, look at /etc/ssh/sshd_config

for X, read the the config files for you display manager.

linux has defaults but they arent hard set as in certain other operating
systems.

hugh