Ok, I appologize for the last post and the half bleeped out profanity.
Now, does anyone have a clue about this dumb error..

PyGTK (2, 6, 0) required, but (2, 4, 1) found.

I get it when running hal-device-manager

the pygtk pc file says version 2.6.2 IS installed and the pygtk pc file is
in a valid directory AND that directory is in the ld.so.conf file.

I've purged and reinstalled a half dozen times and give up...  Luckly it
isn't affecting anything else that I'm aware of..

TIA..
mike