I installed Sarge/3.1/Stable whatever you want to call it, and
installed Apache and mod_perl, and they work for very simple things
(like the trivial hello program in the Apache documentation).

However, I'm running into missing files trying to get to anything more
advanced.  For example, the Apache documentation says there's an
Apache2::Util module, and apt-file says it's in libapache2-mod-perl2:

    [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ apt-file list libapache2-mod-perl2 | grep Apache2/Util
    libapache2-mod-perl2: usr/lib/perl5/Apache2/Util.pm

That package is installed:

    [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ sudo apt-get --reinstall install libapache2-mod-perl2
    Reading Package Lists... Done
    Building Dependency Tree... Done
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 0 not
upgraded.
    Need to get 0B/642kB of archives.
    After unpacking 0B of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
    (Reading database ... 42770 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to replace libapache2-mod-perl2 1.999.21-1 (using
.../libapache2-mod-p
    erl2_1.999.21-1_i386.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement libapache2-mod-perl2 ...
    Setting up libapache2-mod-perl2 (1.999.21-1) ...

    [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ dpkg --status libapache2-mod-perl2
    Package: libapache2-mod-perl2
    Section: web
    Installed-Size: 2356
    Maintainer: Thom May <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
    Architecture: i386
    Version: 1.999.21-1

However, that file doesn't exist:

    [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ ls -F /usr/lib/perl5/Apache2/
    Apache/  APR/  APR.pm  auto/  ModPerl/  mod_perl.pm

And this in turn means that I can't access many of the basic utility
functions, so I'm not getting much of anywhere making my CGI run under
mod_perl.

What gives?  I can't really believe that the mod_perl package in
Stable is completely nonfunctional, but I haven't done anything weird
(like building apache, perl, or anything vaguely related from source),
and I've reinstalled the package allegedly containing the file and
it's not showing up.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>
Dragaera/Steven Brust: <http://dragaera.info/>  Much of which is still down