On Fri, Sep 16, 2005 at 11:13:31AM -0500, J French wrote:
> Debian (or linux in general)? I need a robust backup because this will be a
> production server. Advice is appreciated.

You cannot use dump on a read/write mounted fs - the kernel does not keep
writes from the fs coherent with the block device you read from (eg,
/dev/hda0). You must at least mount the fs read-only. Also, dump only
supports ext2, last time i checked, and may not support newer options such
as directory hashes. GNU tar is what i use (with the -g incremental option).

--
Tom Vier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
DSA Key ID 0x15741ECE