Antony Gelberg wrote:

Joseph Haig wrote:
--- Albert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I am a new user of Debian. My first task after system install is to install Firefox and Tbird, preferably the latest 1.0.6 or 1.0.7. It's a piece of cake to download and install these from the mozilla site, but I have no idea how I might then wrap them with an icon and to get them to show in the menus. Do debian users not do this sort of thing? If so, could someone point me to the appropriate documentation?
Firefox and Thunderbird are already in the Debian distribution.  Try:

$ apt-get install mozilla-firefox mozilla-thunderbird

... or install them via aptitude.  Hope this helps.

It does, I'm sure, but I think we should teach new users how to fish
more, rather than breastfeed them.  No offence intended.
While I agree that it is kinda spoon feeding, RTFM is generally not encouraged on this list. My take on this is that give the newbie a head start and he will pick the ropes much faster. Debian already suffers the image of being unfriendly to newbies and we should at least try to get rid of that (incorrect) image.

raju

--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
Graduate Student, MAE