Greg wrote:

>THank you for you insight on this.  FYI, I was able to make this work.
>However, when I go into aptitude and look at packages to be removed, it
>shows gpm.  I also recall an error message that stated something to the
>affect that gpm was obsolete and would be reomoved from the install.
>Predictably, I was playing around with aptitude and removed gpm.  Alas,
>my mouse stopped working and I had to go through these steps again.
>
>Is there another way to make this mouse work?
>
>FYI, I'm using a MS 2 button + scroll wheel.  Serial, 6pin.

1) I'm unaware of gpm being obsolete; perhaps the version you had
installed was obsolete. Just "aptitude install gpm" to reinstall it.
This should get your mouse working again.

2) The gpm package is unnecessary for your mouse to work in X; it's only
the mouse driver for the console. So if you want a mouse in both the
console and in X, you have to install gpm and configure it to work with
the X driver.

3) This list generally discourages top-posting (putting your reply about
the text of the message to which you're replying). Interspersed
contextual replies are preferred, like so:

> My point A.
Your response to A.
> My point B.
Your response to B.

4) Also, as a general rule, you probably want to avoid replying
privately, in favor of keeping messages on the list. This serves three
purposes:
 A: Others who might be following the thread hoping for answers get the
benefit of any new material.
 B: The material gets archived, benefiting future seekers of the answers.
 C: The person to whom you privately reply may not know the answer; by
replying on the list you get the benefit of input from others who might
know the answer. For example, I'm unaware of gpm being obsolete; perhaps
others have input on this issue.

--
Kent