(Please don't top-post; it makes it harder to follow what's going on
in the thread.)

Tommy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I ran the debianized clean and make
>       make-kpkg clean
>       make-kpkg --initrd kernel_image
> and the kernel header files are
>
> ii  kernel-headers 2.4.20-8 Header files related to Linux kernel version
> ii  kernel-headers 2.4.20-8 Linux kernel headers 2.4.20 on AMD
> K6/K6-II/

If you're building your own kernel, you probably don't care about the
kernel-headers packages, since you already have kernel headers (in
include/linux in your source tree).  Regardless, none of the stock
kernel-headers packages will work for you, since your kernel's
configuration is different.

> On Thu, 29 May 2003, Kevin Herzig wrote:
>
>> I'm thinking one of two things.  Either you have the wrong version of the
>> kernel headers installed, or you need to make clean and make dep again.  I
>> like to make /usr/include/linux a symlink to /usr/src/linux/include/linux,
>> then make /usr/src/linux a symlink to whichever directory the kernel I'm
>> trying to compile is in.

IMHO, all of these are ill-advised; if nothing else, trying to make
/usr/include/linux a symlink will confuse dpkg, since you're stepping
on libc6-dev's files.  See also
/usr/share/doc/libc6/README.Debian.gz.  Putting a symlink in
/usr/src/linux also isn't terribly useful; the directory isn't really
special in Debian, and make-kpkg will tell extra modules you build
where the kernel source lives.

--
David Maze         [EMAIL PROTECTED]      http://people.debian.org/~dmaze/
        -- Abra Mitchell