On Thursday 10 November 2005 12:24, Jon Jahren wrote:
> Hello, I'm not sure where to ask this question, but this seemed as the
> more appropriate mailling list.
You're in the right place.  Welcome.

> I have installed debian, and upgraded to
> debian sid, and then I get this error with udev:
> debian:/home/jon# apt-get -f install
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> Correcting dependencies... Done
>   udev
>   udev
> 1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 178 not upgraded.
> Need to get 0B/300kB of archives.
> After unpacking 303kB of additional disk space will be used.
> Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
> WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
>   udev
> Install these packages without verification [y/N]? y
> (Reading database ... 112823 files and directories currently installed.)
> Preparing to replace udev 0.056-3
> (using .../archives/udev_0.074-2_i386.deb) ...
> ln: creating symbolic link `/etc/udev/rules.d/z55_hotplug.rules' to
> `../hotplug.rules': No such file or directory
> dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/udev_0.074-2_i386.deb
> (--unpack):
>  subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
>  /var/cache/apt/archives/udev_0.074-2_i386.deb
>

> As far as I can tell, it's failing at making a symlink to
> ../hotplug.rules in the /etc/udev/rules directory, so I tried manually
> making the hotplug.rules directory, which didn't work.
> So, help please? I'm running kernel 2.6.14-1-686-smp and as you can see,
> I'm trying to install udev 0.074. If this is the wrong mailinglist I
> apologise and would like to know the appropriate mailinglist.
> Thanks in advance
> Jon

../hotplug.rules isn't a directory, it's a file that's supposed to be
installed by udev.  It seems that udev version 0.056-3 doesn't contain that
file, and 0.074-2 expects it to be there.  It may have been introduced by
an intermediate version of udev, but the package doesn't account for you
upgrading from a version where that file didn't exist.

You should probably file a bug against the udev package.  Use the reportbug
package; it will make things easy.

For what it's worth, I just upgraded udev from 0.070 to 0.074-2, and I did
not get that error.

Hope that helps,
Justin Guerin