Chinook wrote:

Kent West wrote:

Chinook wrote:
am trying to decide which Linux to install.

Pretty much any distro will do the things you've specified; I don't
think these criteria will suffice for choosing a distro. You may have to
move to other criteria (such as the Freedom argument, mentioned above,
or such as "commercial support", etc) to make your choice.

I guess I basically looking for a good GUI for the wife without needing a lot of the home user playthings :-) and a Unix "like" Terminal (I use Bash mostly) with the GNUstep package for development. I had already narrowed my choice down to Debian and K/Ubuntu. Assuming one has a good familiarity with the Unix Terminal and building packages with such, is the GUI fairly straight forward to build with Debian (or already included)? I suppose one has choices?

Debian is all about choice. You want KDE? You got it. Gnome? Yep. Icewm? Fluxbox? TWM? Yep yep yep. Xterm? Yep. Eterm? Yep. Bash? Yep. Korn? Yep. tcsh? Yep. Virtual Terminals? Six by default; but configurable -- Debian's all about choice. Binary packages? 15,000 plus. Source auto-builder thingy? Yep (but I've never used it). Build manually from source? Yep. Compilers? Plenty. Interpreters? Lots.

For example, say you've got a bare-bones Debian install (which is easy - after all, this is Debian, where you have choice). If you decided you want X, just "apt-get install x-window-system". Oh, you want KDE? "apt-get install kde". You want OpenOffice.org? Just "apt-get install openoffice.org". You want GNUstep? "apt-get install gnustep".

Be aware that many folks (including myself) prefer to run the "unstable" branch (or the "testing" branch) for a desktop system, as you get newer software than you would with "stable". Of course, you have to be willing to put up with the occasional bug (and more rarely, serious bug), but generally, stable gets too out of date too soon for most desktop users' preference (whereas stable is great for servers that just need to work, and work reliably).

--
Kent