Mike McCarty wrote:
Kent West wrote:

Chinook wrote:

am trying to decide which Linux to install.

1) My wife will be using it for documents and communication.  I'm sure
OpenOffice will satisfy the documents use, and she prefers Thunderbird
and Firefox for communications.  Oh yes, she says she has to have her
card games :<))

Mike's comments below about Ubuntu apply well here. I installed it on an old G3 Imac for my mother to use. The interface is very polished and installation was pretty straightforward. I had to tweak a few Xorg settings and I've heard anecdotally that this is required more often than not. The interface is very polished and it looks and feels like a commercial product. Definitely passes the MUT (mother usability test). The commercial feeling may be a good thing for non-tech users and it comes with a bunch of card games out of the box (plus of course the entire debian repository is available).

.02

2) I mainly play at (I'm supposedly retired) software development on
my PMac G5 using ObjC/Cocoa.  I would like to be able to expand into
the Linux world using GNUstep.

So, a combination of a simple home system and one on which an old SE
can keep his head busy :-)  I'm comfortable using Unix, but have had
no experience using Linux.

Though it may be as unneeded as on a Mac, I'll want to include ClamAV
or an equivalent.  Some sort of firewall would also be a
consideration, as well as a volume cloning tool for backup and
whatever system maintenance tools might be appropriate.  Maybe I'll
even have more luck keeping it networked with my Mac than I had with XP.

Lots of folks like Ubuntu.

I've heard a lot of good things about Ubuntu, though I've never
used it. I've heard two bad(?) things about Ubuntu. One is that
it, like Mandrake, has a semi-commercial air to it, and some
suppose that it might turn commercial some time or other.
The other is that it may be difficult to migrate from Ubuntu
to some other distro, as it's somewhat non-stock with some
kernel and other changes.

Mandrake has gone commercial, and is now called Mandrivia.
So there is precedent for such a conversion, and if migration
is an issue, then...

Take this with a grain of salt, as I haven't used it, and
am only reporting what I've heard from others who do.

Mike