Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

Unfortunately, my understanding is that M$ intends to enforce this patent. and
its not clear to me whether the patent applies to drivers or to the act of
writing a FAT system. If it applies to drivers, I think that linux FAT system
is a clean-room creation and would probably be okay. If it applies to the act
of writing a FAT system (talking outmy FAT *ss here) then nobody can write FAT
with out paying their $0.25

I'm sure the anit-monopoly guys will have something to say about this. I think
its clearly designed to cut-off linux.

It may require a firm response, like MS having to increase their donations
to the Republicans.

Don't upgrade you're kernel until its settled...

Also, archive your debian box, then reformat and run windows
until this issue is settled.