Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 14:09:07 -0600
Mike McCarty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Likewise, the "clean room" argument made above by Andrew is
inapplicable to a patent. What is covered by the patents I
read would (IMO) preclude anyone from creating LFN entries in a
FAT style directory without license from MicroSoft. (Using the
technique described in the patent, that is.)

my clean-room point is that perhaps the technique, being
independently arrived developed, could be different, though the
result would be the same. If I patent a method to make widgets and as
a result those widgets come out in a particular shape does that
prevent somone else from using another method to make identical, in
every respect, widgets?

It would be if the widget itself were the subject of the patent,
as it is here.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.