On Friday 17 February 2006 11:44, martin f krafft wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are in need of a bunch of gateways with the following
> requirements:
>
>   - must be absolutely silent
>   - must be capable of running Debian
>   - must allow for 3 network interfaces, one of which could be
>     a builtin 802.1x-ready WLAN access point (WPA2 support
>     required).
>   - must allow for extension cards to connect POST telephones for
>     VoIP usage
>   - should probably come with solid-state media (flash) to reduce
>     noise and failure rate due to harddrive. Anyway, spare 1.5"
>     harddrives (silent, and very sturdy) are available if needed.
>   - should have bluetooth or USB connectivity to connect headsets.
>
> I looked around a bit and found primarily the PowerMac G3 cubes and
> many ARM machines. The problem I see with PowerMacs is the
> extensibility for I seem to recall that Apple would like you to buy
> their products, not just any standards sold cheaper by someone else.
> And the problem with the ARM machines is that Debian may soon drop
> this architecture (this is not confirmed, but under discussion).
>
> Do you know of other machines that meet the above criteria and are
> affordable? I really do not want to have to spend more than 400
> € per box.
Have you considered mini-ITX systems.  They can be fan-less and
you can of course use CF or M-IDE solid state drives.  There are both
single and double ethernet versions, and most have at least one
PCI socket, and can take a two way riser.

Most also have USB sockets, and so you can use either USB or
the PCI slots to put in your WLAN and POTS interfaces.

They have the advantage of being almost standard 386 machines
and therefore easy to setup up by anyone with PC knowledge.

They run Debian perfectly well.

David