I decided to follow the advise in one of Florian' links (Thanks Florian)
and use the NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-8178-1444349.diff.txt patch to the 7676 driver. After fixing a few links, it's up and running.

Must say that I'm a bit bemused at applying an 8178 patch to the 7676 driver, but have not gone through the patch to check. I'm equally puzzled as to why the 8178 patched driver does not work as my chip is on the list.

As an aside I'd comment that the biggest pain was the crash forced an fsck and on a couple of occasions also required manually running a full fsck.

Thanks to Florian and Hugo for their help.

Regards,
        Tim

(all this took place while Cat 4 Cyclone Glenda just missed me to the west:)