Þann 2006-05-24, 14:18:10 (-0700) skrifaði Marc Shapiro:
> I do NOT run gnome (or KDE), I use fvwm.
>
> I am trying to clean up my system and eliminate unnecessary packages.
>
> I have previously removed quite a few gnome applications, but some
> things remain.
>
> I note that gconfd-2 is running when I run top.  Is this just a leftover
> from before I did my purge of gnome packages, or is it something that I
> actually need?
>
> If I run 'apt-get --purge remove gconf gconf2' I get the following list
> of packages to be removed:
>
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   gconf* gconf2* libbonoboui2-0* libgconf11* libgconf2-4*
> libgnome-vfs-common*
>   libgnome2-0*   libgnome2-common* libgnome2-perl* libgnome2-vfs-perl*
>   libgnomeui-0* libgnomevfs2-0* libgnomevfs2-common*
>   openoffice.org-gnome-integration*
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 14 to remove and 7 not upgraded.
> Need to get 0B of archives.
> After unpacking 19.7MB disk space will be freed.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
>
> There had been three other apps (eog, gizmo-project and glame) but, as I
> am not using them, I have already uninstalled them.  Is there any reason
> that I should not be able to safely remove these packages?  It would
> seem that gconf and gconf2 are the only things keeping all of these libs
> around.  Can I let apt remove all of this?

Well, if you are not using any apps that need the gconf database then
you can remove these packages.

I would just try it out and see if anything misbehaves afterwards and
then reinstall these packages to see if the system comes back to
normal :-)

HTH

Oli