As of the last update or two ago (etch), XMMS no longer plays CDs. XMMS
sends tons of messages like the following to the syslog if I click on
the ^ button, enter /dev/cdrom, and click Play.

  kernel: hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
  kernel: hdc: command error: error=0x51 { IllegalLengthIndication
LastFailedSense=0x05 }
  kernel: ide: failed opcode was: unknown
  kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 0
  kernel: printk: 26 messages suppressed.
  kernel: Buffer I/O error on device hdc, logical block 0

I can use cdplay from the cdtool package to play the CDs.

If I bring up Options > Preferences > Audio I/O Plugins, select CD Audio
Player, and click on Configure, and then click on Check drive in the
subsequent dialog, I get:

  Device /dev/cdrom OK.
  Disc has 11 tracks
  Total length: 44:19
  Digital audio extraction test: OK
  Directory /cdrom/ OK.

Should I be entering a new directory or file in the Play files dialog
now? Something like
/media/cdrom/something-or-other-which-doesn't-exist-at-the-moment?

Any other ideas?

Or is this a bug that needs to be reported? I didn't see anything like
it listed already.

[Noticing that XMMS has been updated, Bill updates his system to no avail ...]

--
Bill Wohler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG ID:610BD9AD
Maintainer of comp.mail.mh FAQ and MH-E.