On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 12:26:57PM -0800, Joshua J. Kugler wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 July 2006 12:18, Michael Marsh wrote:
> > On 7/11/06, Joshua J. Kugler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Win32?  Huh?  This is a Debian system.  Proftpd is locked (won't accept
> > > connections, even though it shows listening on *:ftp.
> >
> > Does it respond to kill -HUP?
>
> Nope, or to 3, 6, or 11.  So, yeah, I'm down to trying random things. :)

'kill -9' is the biggest gun you've got - if that doesn't work, then
nothing will.

If it won't die, then it is stuck in a kernel mode loop, which usually
means a bug in a driver somewhere. I can't think of legitimate reason
for a process to get into that state...

Regards,
DigbyT
http://www.digbyt.com