On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 04:48:50PM +0200, T wrote:
> Hi
>
> I tried to backup my whole partition with tar:
>
>   tar -cvzf /mnt/.../cache11.tgz .
>
> but when testing the archive result with
>
>  tar -tzf /mnt/.../cache11.tgz
>
> It ends with the following error, without explaining what's wrong:
>
> gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
> tar: Unexpected EOF in archive
>
> I thought about it and think the reason might be that I'm backing up to a
> vfat volume, which might have some serious limits on file size (but
> unfortunately, that's my only backup option now).
>
> If so, how can I backup my nearly 20G partition using vfat volume?
>
> rar can do multi-volume but can it understand all the special Unix files,
> symlink, hard links, named pipes, dev, etc?
>
> tar can do multi-volume too, but "You should only type 'y' after you
> have changed the tape; otherwise tar will write over the volume it just
> finished.".

I've done multivolume vackups ont disk with tar.  There's an option to specify
the
output file -- you need to specify this multiple times, once for each output
file, and
then it sequences through them.  Make sure you have enough of them, though.

One trouble, though.  When using multiple files like this, and specifying a max
output
size per file, it will not allow compression.  At least it didn't lst time I
tried it.