On Sat, Sep 09, 2006 at 17:25:41 -0700, Paul Scott wrote:
> Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> > Sorry for the noise.  Here is yet another script fragment, this time
> > to extract the list of installed and upgraded packages in the
> > dangerous period.  I did not know about the /var/log/dpkg.log file
> > before this morning.
> >
> >     sed -n "/installed sysvinit 2.86.ds1-16/,/installed sysvinit
> > 2.86.ds1-18/p" /var/log/dpkg.log |
> >        awk '/ upgrade / { print $4 } / installed / { print $5 }' | sort -u
> >
> > These packages, if they contain an init.d script, are the ones needing
> > a reinstall.
> >
> At the moment I have to carry the files on a floppy to the problem
> computer (a half hour away) since this broke my wireless.  I am going to
> try hostapd, wireless-tools, and pcmciautils.  Does that sound about right?
>
> Also sysvinit 2.86.dsl-18 is not yet available for sid AFAICT.

You can wget version -19 directly from the main Debian server:

http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/s/sysvinit/sysv-rc_2.86.ds1-19_all.deb

and install it with "dpkg -i". This version has a suggestion for a
better way to fix all links: As others have already pointed out in the
bug report and in this thread, it is sufficient to run "dpkg-reconfigure
-u" on the broken packages. That is a lot faster than the reinstall,
especially for you since it should work without net access.

--
Regards,
          Florian