On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 14:54:01 +0200
Johannes Wiedersich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I've also had some issues with reiserfs and have always sticked to ext3
> ever since. I guess the advantages of reiserfs don't warrant experiments
> on important data. ext3 is rock solid on debian. YMMV.

Well, I had a dodgy disk too. I switched the formatting of it to ext2
for now (switching to ext3 now is trivial). I pulled out some of my
remaining hair :), and managed to fix the postfix issue. after a couple
of problems (ended up having to run postfix check a number of times,
make sure all the perms were correct, and comment out a few lines in
the postfix script relating to usr/lib/zoneinfo).

> /var has all variable data of your system except configuration files.
> Ie. the data on /var depends on your system and cannot be just copied
> from ubuntu.

I figured as much. log files and such are trivial, they'll be written
over. Postfix now seems to work OK. I now need to recover mysql (as I
only use it for Amarok, it should be easy enough to rebuild that
database), and get the dpkg fixed.

> For some help to get from here, see
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-package.en.html#s-recover-status
> and the part about recovering from lost /var further down that page.

I took a look at that page, and the link for "var.tar.gz" seems to
point to a link that doesn't contain that content. The two tar files on
the site aren't what is expected.

> snapshots of /etc and recovering the package selection data from /etc/
> and /usr/share/doc.

What I'll probably end up having to do is to reinstall from latest
etch. OTOH, how to recover the package selection data? I gather that
(more or less) every file in /usr/share/doc translates somehow into a
debian package, right?