On Wednesday 25 October 2006 13:29, Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 11:31:46PM -0500, cothrige wrote:
> > With this install of Debian I decided to stick to what I know, and
> > grabbed the binary installer direct from NVidia.  I ran that, and in
> > less than two minutes I was up and running.  No complaints from Debian
> > and no complaints from NVidia.  Oh, except for one because I had tried
> > to compile it before I updated the system fully and so I had a gcc
> > which didn't match the kernel, but that was fixed in no time.
>
> Apparently the binary installer from NVidia messes with the libraries on
> the system and is not the recommended method for installing.
>
> Read http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/Debian-nVidia/
>
> The Debian way is certainly a lot easier. Now where has that nvidia-glx
> package gone?

Nvidia's own gives me twice the frame rate of Debian's nvidia-glx (Sid).

Nvidia is looking for some Xorg SDK to tell it where to place its module. Not
finding that, it uses the default /usr/lib which means interference with/by
xorg glx packages. Each time you put in new Xorg stuff, simply rerun their
installer. A bit of a bother but as you said, a few minutes.

Examin their "advanced" options. There may be a way to tell it where to
install the glx stuff. Then simply have xorg.conf check modules there
first :-)