On Fri, Jan 26, 2007 at 02:49:52PM +0100, Mark wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I was hoping you may have an idea what to use for the following
> problem:
>
> At work we have a 1Mbit line download and upload. But still
> sometimes people here try to download 350Mb or more over that little
> tiny wire.
>
> We have no started tracking (more like hunting) people down who do
> those hefty downloads because while they are downloading, the rest
> of the company can hardly get some work done.
>
> Now we are the ones who start large downloads in the evening,
> sometimes even doing them at home for the people at work.
>
> I was hoping that there are programs/webinterfaces out there that
> can take this load off of our shoulders and download things during
> the night?

I haven't tried any of the download managers so perhaps they solve the
problem.  If it doesn't, what about implementing a centralized wget
list?

If user's can append a url to have wget get, then you can have a script
to run wget -c -i that_list with the approriate rate-limit for the time
of day.  At 6 pm, remove the limit, during the day have a low limit.

I wonder if there's an io scheduler where one can renice a download?
When the bandwidth is free, go for it, but be pre-emptable.  Perhaps
that's what traffic shaping is, I don't know.

Doug.