PLEASE!  Do NOT send HTML messages on this group.  I'm not the only one
who has issues with them!  Some mail readers can't deal with them.

On Saturday 27 January 2007 18:37, Danesh Daroui wrote:
> Hal Vaughan wrote:

> >> Yes, the JDK does install the JRE.  Look in the directory:
> >>
> >>     /usr/lib/j2sdk1.5-sun/
> >>
> >> and you will see a jre subdirectory.  There is no need to install
> >> the JRE separately.
> >
> > I knew it did in the debs for 1.4.2 and know it does in the raw Sun
> > install for Java 1.6, but was not going to speak for the package in
> > between that I never used.  Thanks for the verification.
> >
> > Hal
>
> Well, I removed it completely to install a fresh copy. I ran:
>
> apt-get install java-package
>
> to install appropriate bin package later but it can not find
> "java-package". It is strange because "java-package" exists in
> debian's packages list at "http://snapshot.debian.net/";. Can anybody
> help?

Note the information from apt-cache on java-package below:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:hal]$ apt-cache show java-package
Package: java-package
Section: multiverse/misc
Installed-Size: 336
Maintainer: Debian Java Maintainers
<pkg-java-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>
Architecture: all
Version: 0.27
Depends: debhelper, fakeroot, coreutils | stat, unzip
Filename: pool/multiverse/j/java-package/java-package_0.27_all.deb
Size: 22786
MD5sum: 105fc8233c54d3b0784bd3d727d9a0ae
SHA1: 834ee3a83245e727d60cd2c543ddf1d72011b691
SHA256: d4d74a0d8a020fc96c5f9ec8f50b3f1076d9ae2186010ffa566c03e1c88631f0
 This package provides the capability to create a debian package from
 a Java(TM) 2 distribution by just running make-jpkg <filename>.
 .
 This program currently works with the following Java(TM) 2 Runtime
 Environments and Development Kits:
 .
  * Sun Microsystems(TM) 1.4 and 1.5 Standard Edition
  * IBM(TM) 1.3, 1.4, and 5.0 Standard Edition
  * Blackdown Java-Linux 1.3 and 1.4 Standard Edition
Bugs: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Origin: Ubuntu

While this is from Ubuntu, it would be essentially the same for Debian.
This package helps you build debs from the downloadable version of
Sun's Java, but it doesn't install Java itself.

There's docs on how to do it somewhere, but I can't recall where.

Hal