Thanks for all the dual boot advice.

Now I need to partition the disk and move the Linux partition to the second
partition

I am looking at the Linux Partition HOWTO (http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Partition/)
and the parted manual (
http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/manual/parted.html#Introduction)  I
should run this off of a Knoppix CD, right?

I bought the laptop with Debian installed, so I know little about it.  I
don't think there is much data on it and I probably don't care about keeping
old data, just preserving important system files, programs, executables,
etc.

Is there a good way to find out where on the disk the data is written, so
that you can be sure that your intended partition is empty of anything
important?  Is there a way to consolidate data to one area of the disk?

Thanks,
Mitch