On Sun, Jan 28, 2007 at 12:20:56PM -0500, Carl Fink wrote:
> I just wanted to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread.  I was
> about to start evaluating alternatives for virtual setups for two of my
> boxes, and you've collectively made my job much easier.
> --
> Carl Fink                                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Just to add my 2c to this thread...

I tried vmware a little while back, and was quite impressed by it as
far as performance and usability went. I especially liked the way it
was able to record changes to your virtual disks and allowed you to
roll back to an earlier snapshot if something went wrong - invaluable
for avoiding those regular re-installs if one has to run Windows, such
as when some piece of software makes the system unstable or interferes
with an existing application and doesn't uninstall properly!

I also didn't mind the fact that it is commercial/proprietary - I don't
object to paying for software if it is good and the developers need to
make a living out of it.

What I didn't like so much was the unavailability of source code, and the
real killer for me was that certain aspects of the programming interface to
the 'virtual hardware' were kept confidential, which meant I could not
port unsupported O/Ss myself or do OS development and experimentation
except in a reduced functionality mode. One such limitation that springs to
mind was getting access to the full resolution video device.

I havn't tried it since the free execution environment was released. Does
anyone know if the full programming interface to the virtual hardware is
still unavailable?

Regards,
DigbyT
http://www.digbyt.com