Grok Mogger wrote:

> Also, I have to say this whole problem I've stumbled on to seems kind of
> silly to me in a way.  I love Debian's approach to stability and
> security, but why not at least keep adding hardware support to the
> kernel as it becomes available?  Seems like it would make a lot of sense
> to at least just keep adding drivers even if the rest of the kernel
> remains frozen at 2.6.18 or whatever.

It seems the kernel fairy may indeed answer your wishes :-)

The latest Debian Weekly News [1] mentions there are already tentative
plans to add updated kernels to Etch during its lifecycle, specifically
to add support for new hardware ... yay :-)

[1] http://www.debian.org/News/weekly/2007/02/
See the section "Updates during the Etch Life Cycle".

Cheers
Nick Boyce