Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 14:02:20 +0000, john gennard wrote:

Florian Kulzer wrote:

On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 20:24:54 +0000, john gennard wrote:

I have an IBM T20 Laptop and want to put on it Etch
(Kernel 2.6.18-3) with Kde. The installation without GUI
is fine, but Kde will not launch. Error messages in
/var/log/kdm.log indicate that the installer assumed the
laptop has a Synaptics Touchpad and this cannot be detected.
/proc/bus/input/devices show that the device is in fact a
'TPPS/2 IBM Trackpoint' Googlings for the Trackpoint show a
confusing picture which I don't understand.

[...]

There should be more info in the Xorg log. If you can switch to a
terminal after a failed KDM startup, you can run

egrep '^\((EE|WW)\)' /var/log/Xorg.0.log

to get a list of all errors and warnings. Post this output here and we
(hopefully) will know what is wrong.

The output of the above command is:-

[ snip: font directory warnings ]

(EE) No devices detected.

I had already looked at the xorg.log file, but I was looking only for errors and not warnings.

The font directory warnings should be harmless. The fact that there is
no other warning or error message before it fails with "No devices
detected" suggests to me that you have some very basic misconfiguration
or driver problem.

What is your graphics card? Please find the relevant lines in the output
of "lspci" and post them here (lines mentioning "VGA", "graphic(s)" or
"display").

The only reference to VGA etc is:-

------------
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. 86C270-294 Savage/IX-MV (rev 11)
------------

We also need more information about your xorg.conf. The output of the
following command should be a good start:

awk '/Section "(Input)?Device"/,/EndSection/' /etc/X11/xorg.conf

-------------
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver          "kbd"
        Option          "CoreKeyboard"
        Option          "XkbRules"    "xorg"
        Option          "XkbModel"    "pc105"
        Option          "XkbLayout"   "gb"
EndSection
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"              "/dev/input/mice"
        Option          "Protocol"            "ImPS/2"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"     "true"
EndSection
#Section "InputDevice"
#       Identifier      "Synaptics Touchpad"
#       Driver          "synaptics"
#       Option          "SendCoreEvents"      "true"
#       Option          "Device"              "/dev/psaux"
#       Option          "Protocol"            "auto-dev"
#       Option          "HorizScrollDelta"    "0"
#EndSection
Section "Device"
        Identifier      "S3 Inc. 86C270-294 Savage/IX-MV"
        Driver          "savage"
        BusID           "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

------------

When trying to solve this problem myself, I 'disabled' the
Trackpoint in Bios (it was by default set at 'auto disable'
which I understand means it becomes disabled if an external
mouse is attached), and commented out the 'Input Device'
section in xorg.conf. This changed things and I went direct
to a prompt, but an error message had been recorded indicating
that the relevant entry in 'ServerLayout' also needed commenting
out - this I did and the error message 'No devices detected'
came up. As I said, I can now use a non-GUI installation by
booting into 'single user mode' - trying a normal boot freezes
everything.

Thanks for your interest, Florian. Sorry for the delay - at the
moment I have only a dial up connection and I've been upgrading
Etch on two boxes (seems every Kde package had to upgraded, and
that took almost 10 hours.

Regards,

John.