Hello,

I am seeing an inordinate amount of packages dropped on my firewall -
all coming from the same source and hitting a very limited range of
ports (as reported by psad):

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Mon Feb 19 10:34:03 2007
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

         Danger level: [1] (out of 5)

    Scanned tcp ports: [10258: 1 packets]
            tcp flags: [SYN: 1 packets, Nmap: -sT or -sS]
       Iptables chain: INPUT (prefix "Shorewall:net2all:DROP:"), 1
packets

               Source: 65.173.218.96
                  DNS: maverick14.sans.org

          Destination: XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
                  DNS: my.firewall.at.home

      Syslog hostname: firewall

     Current interval: Mon Feb 19 10:33:58 2007 (start)
                       Mon Feb 19 10:34:03 2007 (end)

   Overall scan start: Mon Feb 19 08:19:11 2007
   Total email alerts: 6
   Complete tcp range: [10256-10258]

   chain:   interface:   tcp:   udp:   icmp:
   INPUT    eth0         10     0      0

-------

Similar scans have been happening for weeks now, always from the same
address. I realize that except for the fact that my firewall is
running Debian (Sarge with some packages from Etch) this question is
probably off-topic, but if anyone knows why I might be getting all
this traffic, I would appreciate any hints.

Thanks
 --j