mess-mate wrote:
> Roberto C. Sanchez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> | On Sat, Feb 24, 2007 at 06:22:30PM +0100, mess-mate wrote:
> | >
> | > What did i wrong ??
> | >
> | No use shorewall?  Not provide any actual log messages?
> |
> No shorewall, i prefer a own debian iptables firewall :)
> The only bad error messages are these i mentioned.
>
> But i've seen now after a reboot, just before grub come up,
> a message from 3Com to do the choice of MBA (?) and choosing XPE or
> TCP/IP, local..netware... and so what.Has to little time to see it
> exactly.

In order to log all messages you get at boot time, you can edit
/etc/default/bootlogd and the option for yes. Everything will go to
/var/log/boot. By the way, you can also change, VERBOSE=no for
VERBOSE=yes in /etc/default/rcS file to get more information.

> What does that mean ? Did a bought a netboot card ??
> Is a 3com detected as a RTL8139 by the kernel but with the 3C59x
> driver.

Right now, I do not know, but it should be easier to track the problem
down with a full message.

> Franck Joncourt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> | mess-mate wrote:
> | > Hi list,
> |
> | Hi,
> |
> |  > A '/etc/init.d/networking start' give an error about eth2:
> | > eth2: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device.
> | >

> | What about dmesg | grep eth2 ? Does it give to you more information on
> | the interface ? Are you sure, eth2 is used by your card. I mean, it may
> | be possible that this one is used by another ressource.
> |
> A dmesg|grep eth give :
> eth1: VIA Rhine at 0x1e800, 00:80:c8:ec:92:b5, IRQ 10.
> eth1: MII PHY found at address 8, status 0x7809 advertising 05e1
> Link 0000.
> eth2: RealTek RTL8139 at 0xec00, 00:e0:29:3c:34:bd, IRQ 12
> eth2:  Identified 8139 chip type 'RTL-8139A'
>                 ( remark:  3C59x driver )
> eth1: link up, 10Mbps, half-duplex, lpa 0x0000
> eth0:  setting half-duplex.
> ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
> eth1: no IPv6 routers present
> eth1: link up, 10Mbps, half-duplex, lpa 0x0000
> eth1: no IPv6 routers present
>
> Eth0 is normally connected to the modem but had to put the cable t
> another router to communicate. This is why the link of eth0 is not
> ready.

To me, it looks like a driver probleme as you mentionned above about the
message you got at boot time.

- --
Franck Joncourt
http://www.debian.org
http://smhteam.info/wiki/
GPG server : pgpkeys.mit.edu
Fingerprint : C10E D1D0 EF70 0A2A CACF  9A3C C490 534E 75C0 89FE