On Thu, 2007-03-01 at 04:04 -0800, Jordi wrote:
> Hi again Greg
>
> > > 1) Must I disable this shared folder?
> > > 2) Must I remove samba from my server?
> > > 3) Should I better use SCP allways?
> > > 4) Or can I leave that shared folder in the server and just use for
> > > non-vital,trivial files?
>
> > 1) no
> > 2) no
> > 3) no
> > 4) yes

I'd change my answers to all "yes" until you get a proper firewall.

I am sorry, but my answers were wrong. Based on the answer of your
router ... which it is not. It is merely a non-protected bridge.

The product page explains a lot to me:
        http://www.speedtouch.com/prod530.htm

> Do you all people agree with this? I mean, do as Greg says and use the
> shared folder just for nonsenses or trivial documents, and use SCP for
> transmission of backups and important data? Or can samba and that
> folder be a danger anyway?
> And... can someone spying through internet in my XP pc enter beyond
> that shared folder in another one in my linux system?

Ok, well since you answered the question about the router... you do not
have one.

You have an ADSL Modem with two ports. A USB and a 10/100 Ethernet port.
I'd have to bet you also are running a PPPoE connection... which is why
you've had such a time understanding the networking end of things.

Typically, a much better setup would be for you to get an inexpensive
product that acts as a firewall and has a 4-8 port switch built into it.

I currently use a "D-Link DI-804HV", but anything reasonably compared to
it... would be fine. I purchased mine from NewEgg here $49.99:
        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833127030

That would be a much more sensible solution for you to use. I use one
and they are very easy to setup. Infact setup is easiest from a Windows
machine, using the software they send with it.

It is really flexible and capable of doing many things many others won't
do.

Once you get one, it'll make you understanding of things much better and
easier and will make it so you can share stuff between you Linux and
Windows machine much easier.

If you want to use you Linux machine as a firewall, you will also have
to get a second NIC for it and then plug you Windows machine into it.
The it will act as your router and firewall.

Personally, if you Windows machine does not have a NIC already, I'd buy
one at NewEgg as well $3.99:
        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833166004

I've had good luck with pretty much any of the Realtek based NICs (which
this is)

Once you get both machines properly attached to a something resembling a
switch (which the DI-804HV is) then you should be much happier.

Remember the Thomson is just an ADSL bridge, giving you unprotected
straight raw Internet... Unless you really know what you are doing...
and can manage your Windows machine properly this is a really BIG nono
connecting it straight to your ADSL Modem.
--
greg, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup