Redirecting to list

ChadDavis wrote:

    /dev/hdb is the whole disk I doubt you want to mount it like this.

#dmesg | grep hdb should give you some idea whether its seen

dmesg gives me :

 sudo dmesg | grep hdb
[17179574.996000] ide0: BM-DMA at 0xf000-0xf007, BIOS settings: hda:pio, hdb:pio

Seems like there's something there, but no indication that it recognizes it as the device it is.

I would expect to see more about the disk than this eg. on my system hdb is a dvd-rom and I get

#dmesg| grep hdb
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xf000-0xf007, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:DMA
hdb: MATSHITADVD-ROM SR-8585F, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hdb: ATAPI 32X DVD-ROM drive, 512kB Cache, UDMA(33)

Probably time to check the cables and jumpers on the disk in question, maybe swap a few around as see what happens.

    #cfdisk /dev/hdb will tell you about the partitions.

This fails with "fatal error: can not open disk drive".

It doesn't look like its recognised the disk.

As an aside I think you may benefit from installing hdparm and setting the DMA mode of your disks to improve performance (currently pio which IIRC is not the best).

HTH

Wackojacko