> I know you said you want a plain Debian, but what about DSL ?
> http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

My understanding is that DSL offers some things I don't need (like
a desktop; I'm mostly interestd in this system as a kind of rescue drive)
and fails to provide me with the ability to just update it with apt-get (I
don't intend to *ever* reinstall this USB system, instead I'll just keep
updating against testing, as I've done on all my other systems).

DSL looks pretty neat, but seemed too much based on a "LiveCD" mindset, so
I didn't investigate much further.  Maybe it actually offers just what
I wanted.

        Stefan