On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 13:34:04 +0100
Johannes Wiedersich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Is this for streaming audio or for recording from the audio-in of the
> sound card?

Both, although streaming to mplayer's internal dumpstream format uses
a lot less disk space for the internal format. Of course, you have
to convert it afterwards, and if you convert to .wav you may end up
with the same 2gb size limit as if you encoded straight to wav in the
first place.

Back when I was actively recording schickele mix audio files from PRI,
I originally used the "record from the audio in (ossdsp)" method, but
that required too much work on the other end, because of what artifacts
the sound card would bring in (levels, microphone settings, and so
forth), so I ultimately opted to record the audio programs using
mplayer's dump stream format.