>I thought all the kernels were SMP-enabled now, no?  Didn't Debian do
>away with the distinction between SMP and non-SMP kernels?  At least,
>when I look at what's available with aptitude, all the kernel images
>labelled with "-smp" are given as "for transition only."

Unless I'm mistaken the 486 kernel that came with my i386 installation was not
smp enabled. I did cat /proc/cpuinfo and could only see one processor running.

However, I did as Andrei Popescu suggested and installed the -k7-smp kernel,
which seems to work just fine. I also tried the -686-smp kernel, and it worked
too. I feel really dumb, because I didn't know my amd64 processor could use
kernel variants that were optimized for other processors. I take it the k7
kernel is preferable to the 686 one, since my processor is Athlon?

Anyway, thanks a lot for helping me out with this! I'm almost done setting up
stuff the way I want it. Using a fresh debian desktop is like diving into cool,
clean water on a hot summers day :).

/landhaj, happy camper

Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.