Steve Lamb wrote:
Daniel B. wrote:

(When you logically tentatively delete a message from the Inbox
folder and Seamonkey logically moves it to the Trash folder, there's
still a physical copy of the data in the file that implements the Inbox
folder.  That physical copy is never available to the user through the
tool.)

Not so.

If that's not so, then tell me how Seamonkey makes those messages
available to the user.

> Was there not mention of extensions that do in fact display they
logically marked messages?

An extension is a different tool.  (Or Seamonkey with an extension
is a different tool.)

> If not, are you positive such a tool could not be written?

Why do you ask if I've positive?  I never said such a tool could not
be written?

> Furthermore when was "through the *current* tool" the litmus test on
what the current tool should or should not do?

What the heck are you talking about?

I wasn't talking about whether the tool should continue doing only
what it does now (not providing access to deleting messages in a
folder or should do more (e.g., providing access).

I was talking about what view of the data the tool provides to the
user.  Currently, the tool does not provide any view of that type of
deleted message except that you have to compact folders once in a while
to  reclaim the space.

> Just because my MTA logs are
not accessible through the MTA means they should not be created in the first
place?  Rotated... ever?  Heaven forbid I use less to search my MTA logs and
cron to rotate them.

How is that related to the discussion about Seamonkey and its mail
files?  An MTA's documented interface to the administrator includes
its log files.  Does Seamonkey document its mail file format and
expected (end) users to do anything with them using any tool except
Seamonkey itself (not counting external-only operations like backing
up or moving whole files)?

Surely you're not ignorant of that reality.

Of course I'm not, but what does that have to do with Seamonkey?

    I ask the same of you.  Do you honestly believe user preference extends
only to a single, default installed application?

Huh?  (User preference about what?  Or, which user preferences?
(What are you asking? Your question is a bit ambiguous.))

Daniel