On Tue, 2007-03-13 at 00:03 +0000, Hans du Plooy wrote:
> Bizarrely, the interface seems to lose power or something every 1-2
> minutes.  Not my connection to the AP - this is a lower level, it
> happens even if I'm running airodump-ng.  All of a sudden I just see
> nothing.  Only way to fix it is to rmmod and then modprobe bcm43xx

Ok, after playing around a lot with the wireless on my notebook (Broacom
4318) I realised the above problem is not the bcm43xx driver, but
NetworkManager.  I'm not sure what it does, I can only imagine it scans
for networks at regular intervals when it's not connected and somehow
resets the card/driver.

If I associate the card with an accesspoint using iwconfig and then do
dhclient eth0, it picks up an address almost immediately, and works
stably.

But getting it to connect through NetworkManager is a pain.  I have to
keep retrying, and eventually (sometimes afer 20 or more tries) it will
finally connect and work properly.

Is anybody experiencing the same problem?  Do note I'm rathe far from
the AP, NetworkManager shows 4 bars.  If I put up an AP in the same room
it connects much quicker.

Hans