On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 12:23:44PM -0300, Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto wrote:

> >Except for Dell, most hardware vendors sell their product wholesale to
> >retailers. These vendors need to convince retailers to stock their product
> >and offer it to the public. The retail marketplace is dominated by
> >Microsoft. Much as I like Debian and Linux, I find it hard to believe
> >that Microsoft dominance of retail will end in the near future. Is this
> >monopoly, oligarchy, or simply reality?
>

> Clarify.
>
> For me your distinction makes no sense  because monopoly is, by definition,
> the situation in  which a single vendor controls the marketplace.
>
> Perhaps you meant "is this Microsoft monopoly situation illegal or
> unethical, or merely a result of free market?".
>
> Which is simply absurd. Microsoft's actions such as
> 1) Bundling IE
> 2) Changing MS Office file formats with each version, in order to make
> people use the most recent version. (Amazingly, Openoffice is often *more*
> compatible with older MS Office file formats then MS Office itself).
> 3) Faking grass-roots support (CAGW, ATL, Campaign for Creativity, receiving
> support from dead people)
> 4) Abusing the Windows monopoly to gain monopoly in other areas. For
> example, when they change the windows API (like when moving from Win 3.1 to
> Win 32) their Office engineers have early access to the API and this
> allowed, for instance, MS Office to be the first 32 bit Office suite for MS
> Windows
> 5) Embrace & Extend. See IE for example.
> 6) Halloween Documents.
> 7) Hostile attitude towards competitors. Threats. Flying chairs.
> 8)etc..
>
> Leave no doubt on the ethics of Microsoft. Let's remember that Microsoft has
> already been convicted in USA, Europe, Asia (Korea and Japan IIRC)...

I didn't follow your argument, but of course Microsoft is a
monopoly. There is no monopoly in the computer hardware manufacturing
business, and there isn't an oligopoly, and certainly not an
oligarchy. The reality is that these manufacturers are in a bind from
which it will be difficult to extricate themselves. Certainly each
vendor cannot set its prices at cost plus a reasonable profit.

Without wishing to claim any originality for the observation, I say
that whatever hardware vendors do vis-a-vis Linux is largely
irrelevant to the future of Linux.  What Linux needs from Dell is what
it seems to be giving already: It is using Debian for the foundation
software of its hardware test CDs. This is a real endorsement.

Beyond that, it might be useful to Linux evangelism for Dell to
publish information about any special tweeks it had to make to the
original Debian version in order to get it to work on Dell
hardware. (I expect there were none.)

--
Paul E Condon
[EMAIL PROTECTED]