Hi guys, I've encountered a problem with my xen/raid setup.

My etch box has / on raid 1. When booting either 2.6.18-3 or -4 I get
an error when /scripts/local-top/mdadm runs: (paraphrasing)

Failure: failed to load Module 0 no such module
Failure: failed to load Module 1 no such module
Failure: failed to load Module 5 no such module

Waiting for root filesytem...

and that's it.

I dug into the script in question and here are the offending lines:

/usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts/local-top/mdadm

MD_DEVS=all
MD_MODULES='linear multipath raid0 raid1 raid456 raid5 raid6 raid10'
[ -s /conf/md.conf ] && . /conf/md.conf

verbose && log_begin_msg Loading MD modules

for module in ${MD_MODULES:-}; do
  if modprobe --syslog "$module"; then
    verbose && log_success_msg "loaded module ${module}."
  else
    log_failure_msg "failed to load module ${module}."
  fi
done
log_end_msg

looks like it should just interate through the list and load the
modules. I have confirmed that it works the way I expect in bash, but
it doesn't work properly when booting. for some reason the module
names seem to get replaced with just hte numbers "0" "1" and "5".

I have hacked the script and rebuilt my initrds by commenting out the
above section and just putting in a bunch of modprobes and it
works. But clearly something wacky is going on here.

3 questions

1. Has anyone else seen this and have any insight?

2. How do I unpack my initrd to actually look at the script that is in
   the initrd (maybe it gets changed somehow?) so I can check that out
   directly.

3. is this a bug?

thanks