Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Sat, Apr 07, 2007 at 01:30:57 +0200, Matt Miller wrote:
I've attached an external hard drive to my etch AMD64 box, booted my
AMD64 box into the debian installer, and installed a fresh i386 etch
onto the external drive.
Now I can't boot my box without the external drive attached, because
grub complains with "error 21."

So boot into AMD64 with the drive attached, then grub-install /dev/path-to-internal-drive. You may need to update the menu.lst on the AMD64 partition to include the i386 partition on the external drive if you still want to boot it.

HTH

Wackojacko