When I start X DPMS is working (monitor is turned off), however after some time it stops working (i.e. monitor is always on).

  When I run e.g. xset dpms 60 65 70 it works again (for some time).

Only idea I have is that openGL unsets/reset/break dpms (that's about the only graphics weirdness I can think of that happens sort of regularly)

  Any ideas how to troubleshoot/fix this?

  system:

  ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R350 [Radeon 9800 Pro]
  Apple Cinema connected via DVI
  kernel 2.6.18
  fglrx-driver 8.31.5-1 (proprietary driver)

Debian bugs don't mention anything relevant, net search revealed similar (same) problems but no solutions.

  TIA,

        erik