On April 8 2007 13:20, Greg Folkert wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-04-08 at 13:06 -0400, Ed Jabbour wrote:
> > /var/lib/dhcp3/dhclient.eth0.leases has dates in it that do not
> > seem to relate to anything.  It has two entries. one stating that
> > the DHCP lease expired two days ago, and another that states it
> > will expire in 2038:

>> renew 5 2007/4/6 17:38:58;
>>   rebind 5 2007/4/6 17:38:58;
>>   expire 5 2007/4/6 17:38:58;
>>
>>   renew 2 2038/1/19 03:14:07;
>>   rebind 2 2038/1/19 03:14:07;
>>   expire 2 2038/1/19 03:14:07;

> First off, are you having any problem?

OK, I'll try to pretend I understand this stuff.

I  intermittently lose connection and have to unplug/replug the modem,
which as I understand it, gets me a new lease.   I suspected that the
Netgear router was failing to properly negotiate a new lease on its own
when one came down from Comcast.  This was mentioned on Netgear's site,
and following their recommendation, I upgraded the firmware. While
trying to investigate the lease, I was led to the above file with the
funny lease times.  The router itself shows that the lease was given 4
days ago and expires in 3 days plus some odd.  The difference makes me
wonder if there's a software problem someplace.

> Second, where are you getting your DHCP ack and reply from (Comcast,
> a router or a real DHCP server on you LAN?

The router is a client vis-a-vis Comcast and a server vis-a-vis the LAN.
So, I get the lease from the router which gets it from Comcast.

> Thirdly, is that your whole leases file?

No.  dhclient.eth0.leases has two entries, each of which has more info.
They are identical but for the lines cited above. I don't know if it's
supposed to have only one entry.

[snip]

> Now, if you are getting you DHCP info from a router, well that is a
> different issue. Does that Router support uPNP? If it does and you
> have zeroconf and the avahi stuff installed, that might explain it.

Ahh, the wonders of Google -- Universal Plug and Play?  Yes, it does and
it is enabled.  I don't have zeroconf but do have the avahi daemon.

> There are many numerous ways of misconfiguration for "privately
> controlled" DHCPDs. I really don't want to go into them at length
> until we know it is the problem... which I'll hope it isn't.

I hope it isn't, too.